Sunday, February 21, 2010

Betty the Beast

We bought the new truck home yesterday. We fully intended on naming her Destiny. That was before we got to know her. All the way home from North Carolina I kept pushing buttons. There are buttons for everything. I don't think I will ever figure them all out. I did figure out how to set a destination in the navigation system so I programed our home town. I was very proud of myself until I realized that I didn't know how to control the volume. Everytime we got off an exit to look at somthing or stop for gas she would yell "MAKE A LEGAL U-TURN" I thought the kids would go insane. Then we got home. Have you ever put a dually into a regular garage? It is a very tight fit. About 4 inches of space all the way around. Once we got her in and got the door shut Travis looked at me and said,"Man,she's a beast!" So, there you have it, Betty the Beast.
The ride home gave us time to REALLY talk. It seems so much of our life has just been accomplishing goals. Build a house,buy a new car, get a better job. We have really lost sight of the most important goal, be a happy family.I know alot of people think we are nuts but I hear the same reasons over and over again. I couldn't live in such a small place with my family, but you have such a nice house, what about your family, what about your kids education? Are they really listening to what they are saying?
That is the whole point. This big house and rushed lifestyle is letting my family slip away from me. I work all day and most of the evening, by the time I get home it's time for the kids to go to bed. On my days off they are in school. How many of these nay sayers even have any idea what thier kids are learning in school? I want to know that my kids are doing more than reading aboout life. I want them to live it. I want to spend quality time with my husband and my kids, not let them spend their childhood closed up in their rooms playing video games or watching tv.
I am sure if you are reading this you probably have some of the same feelings. I would love to get to know some of the families out there better. We don't care if you have no kids or 10. If you are in a luxury motorhome or a tent camper. We want just want to hear from you. Give us a little advice, or ask for some. Just say hi, or become lifelong freinds. I want to show my kids that it doesn't matter where people come from or how much money they have. That there are all types of great people who would like to be their freind just because. So drop us a line. We'll look forward to seeing you!

6 comments:

  1. Hello from another FOTR! I'm excited to read about your upcoming adventure! I have 3 teenagers also, 13, 14 & 16 and we've been traveling off and on with my husbands job for the past 4 years. At first it was a huge adjustment, but it has been such a blessing! Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes you. Blessings!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures! My husband and I are both nurses, and are considering selling the house and travel-nursing. I already homeschool our 2 boys, and am trying to talk him into RVing for a year. Please keep up the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Love your blog! It is so cool to find another family about to get on the road! We are a tribe of three that just bought our bus for a conversion project. We are planing to hit the road fulltime in 2 years or less (hopefully less).
    We are from Quebec and are trill to offer our daughter - and ourselves liberty, creativity and independance.

    Keep up the updates - we want to know where you are in your preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad i found your blog (thru tonya above i believe). we're selling both our homes as well and taking our kids (7, 10 & 10) OTR. hopefully we'll meet you along the way!
    margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! We are a family of 5 who have been traveling for 3 years now...through company housing. My husband is a traveling nurse (ED and ICU). I am also an RN, but haven't worked in quite a few years as I have been a homeschooling SAHM (did Peds and ED). WE are making the jump to selling our home and buying a travel trailer. Not quite sure how it is going to work with all our "stuff", but I am excited to finally have our own road home! We plan to travel for at least 2 years. I hope we can chat some more! I completely hear what you are saying in this post. A lot of naysayers unfortunately happen to be family. But we are the go against the grain kind of family anyway. Let them have their say as we move on! It can feel lonely at times, BUT since I found this site this past week (Thanks to Tonya), I have felt like there is another "family" out there that we belong to! We have TONS of info on travel companies (I traveled too before I even met my husband when there were only 4-5 travel companies!). If you need any guidance let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Love your blog! Most of what you've said is what we are saying. We no longer want to be part of the rat race and we want to have quality family time. We just put our house up for sale this week and will be on the road once it sells. We have an 8 year old (almost 9) son and 2 miniature dachshunds. When we tell people what we are doing, some think it's great and others think we're nuts. Hope to see you OTR!

    ReplyDelete